Create a New Mission
This article will cover the basics for creating and starting a mission. You will learn how to build and start a simple mission. The following topics will be covered in this article:
- Creating and Naming a New Mission
- Build Your Mission in the Mission Builder
- Assign Teams & Place Groups
- Add a Task to Your Mission
- Create Sections for your Mission
- Reorder Sections and Tasks
- Delete a Task or Section
- Copy a Task or Section
- Save Your Mission
- Deploy Your Mission
Create and Name a New Mission
- To create a new mission, click on the blue "+ New Mission" button on the right side of the main Missions page.
- Create a descriptive Mission Name. Keep in mind that what you name the Mission here is what will be displayed to your users.
- Optionally, in the Instructions field, you can provide additional details about the goal of the mission that your users will see when they start the Mission. Users will see these instructions in the mission on the start screen.
- Click Save.
The Mission Builder screen will appear once you name and provide instructions for your mission. From here, you can Build, Schedule, and provide Notifications for your Mission.
Build Your Mission
- Begin building your Mission by navigating to Build tab > General.
- From here, you can create or edit Instructions for your users. This is optional.
- To further refine the distribution and availability of your Mission in the field (beyond the required Teams and Place Groups), click the optional Show Advanced Settings dropdown. Under the Advanced Settings dropdown, you can:
- Enable User Assigned Places—you must assign places to individual people, otherwise no one will receive your Mission.
- Allow Users to Add Places—allows users to add places that are not currently in your place database prior to completing the Mission. These places will appear in your New Place place group.
- Allow Missions Without a Place—allows users to complete the Mission without choosing a place.
Assign Teams & Place Groups
You can assign as many teams or place groups as you want to a mission. No need to worry about overlaps; a team member or location in multiple teams or place groups will not appear twice.
NOTE: You cannot launch a mission without assigning teams and place groups. Where a Mission is set to be available and who sees your Mission is dependent on how your teams and place group settings have been configured.
Add a Task to Your Mission
Continue creating your mission by building your task list.
- Click the Add Task button at the bottom of your screen.
- Select the task type that you want to create and it will be added to your task list. We offer eleven different task types:
Every task will have a space for a title and description as well as a button to make the task optional. Title is required for every task in your mission, but a description is always optional. We recommend reserving the description field to elaborate or provide additional task specific instructions for your users only if necessary. If you make a task optional, the users will be able to submit their mission response without answering the question.
TIP: You can create tasks that are conditional on the answers to preceding questions. For more on creating Conditional Tasks, click HERE.
- Optionally, you can provide a Default Value for your task. If Default Value is selected, the task will automatically show as completed for the user, but the user can edit the value if necessary.
- You can select Properties for your task. Property options include:
TIP: After you have added tasks to your mission, you can collapse the tasks using the triangle button on the far left side of the task.
Create Sections for Your Mission
You can also create sections to group your tasks. This will help your users stay organized when completing a more complex mission.
- To add a new section, click the "New Section" button at the bottom of the page.
- Name your section.
- Optionally, provide Section Instructions for your user.
NOTE: Sections can be reordered similar to tasks and can also be deleted.
Reordering Sections and Tasks
Reorder sections or tasks using the button with up and down arrows in the button set located to the far right of each task and section. From here, you can also Delete or Copy a section or task. Please see the section on reordering tasks and sections for more information on moving information around within a mission.
- From reorder mode, select the task (or conditional task set) that you want to move by selecting its check box on the left. The same applies when reordering sections.
- Click the black arrows to reorder.
- Once selected, your selected tasks light up in green and you'll see a couple of new options. Black arrows will appear to the left and right, showing you where you can place your selected task(s), as demonstrated below.
- Select the black arrow where you'd like to drop the task or set of tasks. If the move is ambiguous (i.e. its new location could make it part of a conditional set or it could be a standalone task), you'll receive an additional prompt for clarity.
NOTE: You can also easily reorder conditional tasks by 'bumping' them left and right, changing the parent task they respond to. These 'bump' arrows are on the right-hand side of each task row. When you bump a conditional task to fall under a new parent task, you will need to select a new option from the 'Shown on...' dropdown to tell the task when it will appear. If you bump a conditional parent task, the supporting tasks that follow will also move with it in order to not change that work flow.
5. Click 'Finish and Save' when you're done adjusting the order.
Delete a Task or Section
Use the trash can button at the far right side of a task or section to delete it. The task or section will be deleted from your list.
WARNING: Although the deletion cannot be undone, you will be asked for confirmation prior to its deletion.
Copy a Task or Section
Use the icon with two documents at the far right side of a task or section to copy it. This shortcut is helpful if you have many similar tasks with different titles. You can simply copy the task or section and then edit any of the input fields.
Saving your Mission
Regardless of where you are in the building mission process, it is advisable to save your progress early and often. In the bottom right of the Mission creation page, you'll see a Save button.
NOTE: If you need to navigate away from the mission creation page and you have work in progress that has not yet been saved, you will be prompted with a warning that changes will be lost. You will then have the option to stay on the page to save your work.
Deploy your Mission
After completing the Build tab of the Mission Builder and have finalized the tasks that you want to include in your Mission, you are ready to deploy your Mission.
NOTE: You may want to Schedule or set Notifications for your Mission. To do this, click on the Schedule or Notify tabs of the Mission Builder.
- To start your mission, click the Deploy Mission button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- If there are errors preventing the Mission from being deployed, a red error banner will appear at the top of your screen.
- If there are no errors, you'll have the option to either start your Mission immediately or set the Mission Schedule (the dates when the Mission will automatically start/stop).